Thursday, February 7, 2008

Sauerkraut

Okay, remember the giant cabbage. Turns out that it wasn't so big after I removed the dark outer leaves. I shredded the thing, added sea salt, and put it in one of my white plastic mixing bowls. I did have to add a little water to cover the shredded cabbage. Then I put a dinner plate over it with a mason jar full of water to weigh it all down. Finally, I covered it with a dish towel and left is sitting on the back of the kitchen counter. That was Saturday. Yesterday it started to bubble (like my pet sour dough starter). This morning I checked it and I have sauerkraut. It is crunchy and gooooood. So much better than the canned stuff. I don't want to process it because I have read that it is a probiotic food, so I want to keep those good for me critters alive. Maybe I should put it in the fridge. Need to read more.

No comments:

Post a Comment