Monday, April 14, 2008

Wild Flower of the Week

Baby Monkey presents the Wild Flower of the Week. Behold the Texas state flower, the Blue Bonnet.

Here they are without my kidlett.
There are actually five Texas state flowers, but all of them are Blue Bonnets. In 1901 Lupinus subcanosus or Buffalo Clover Blue Bonnet was declared the state flower of Texas by our legislature. Off and on for the next seventy years there was a Blue Bonnet debate. Many people believed that Lupinus texensis was clearly a prettier Blue Bonnet. In 1971 they solved the argument by making both Blue Bonnets the state flower as well as three other Lupins. Here is how it reads "Any other variety of blue bonnet not heretofore mentioned." The other three are Lupinus harvardii the Big Bend or Chisos Blue bonnet, Lupinus concennus or annual lupine, and Lupinus platlensis the only perennial Blue Bonnet which is found in the Panhandle. The pictures above are Lupinus texensis. Thanks to the Texas Agrilife Extension for the Info.
Over the next couple of months I am going to try to post a Wild Flower of the Week. I want to learn more about the native flowers in my area. If you have a post related to wild flowers and would like me to link you here, just leave me a comment and I will come back and create a link to your blog. Everyone can play.
Here we go.
Weed Wackin Wenches are the first players. It's not a flower but it is something wild.
In Notes From a Cottage Garden I found more wild flowers. Check out small flowered Blue Eyed Mary.

Posted by Picasa

14 comments:

  1. What a great idea to learn and teach about wildflowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi tina, please feel free to play. I want to see everyone's wild flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Aunt Debbi check out our most recent post. We dedicated a photo to you.
    --Curmudgeon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now, let me think; have I done a post on a wildflower? Hmmm..

    What a clever idea.

    I like this post. I learned quite a bit. I didn't know about the different ones. I have tried to grow lupines, but I guess our soil pH is just too basic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WW. I almost died. Don't do that to me so early in the morning. Never mind, do I don't even need coffee now.

    Hi Barbee, I'm going over again to look at your blog. If there is the slightest hint of a wild flower your gettin linked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My blog is so new, I don't think there is anything about the topic. The web site is much older and might have something in Journaling, but don't worry about that right now.

    Must run, now, my ailing husband/best friend/chief photographer and I spent all day at his doctor's office and in the hospital ER yesterday. He is still there and going to have at least gall bladder surgery today. Don't know what else if anything - depending on what they fine. If all goes well, he should be a much more comfortable and happy fellow.

    Think spring everyone.
    Smiles,
    B..........

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I KNOW I've never posted about a wildflower since I just recently started posting more about my garden. Before I found blotanical I didn't really have any friends who'd really care what I had blooming in my garden. I'll have to do some research though since I don't know what any of the wildflowers around here are even called!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, Debbi, how I envy you those bluebonnets! I seem incapable of growing California poppies, too. but in my dreams, I wander through fields bright with bluebonnets and California poppies... lucky, lucky you! (And darned cute little monkey!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Barbee, take care. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

    Cinj, If you find something just let me know.

    ourfriendben, Thanks for the monkey compliment. I dream of Brandywine tomatoes. tomato envy is a terrible terrible thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll look forward to these post but I don't know a thing about them. I recently learned about the Yellow Rose of Texas--Lady Banks. But don't enough to post it here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Anna,

    This is just a celebration of wild flowers and honestly anything else I think is way too funny. Your Lady Banks absolutely gets in. This is a fast and loose game, please play.

    Debbi

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh Goody - I can add another State flower to my (not very extensive) list :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cheap and trendy deisgner clothing from ronkaclothing.com where we sell: GAR-DE, Bolero, Kushcush, Missoni, Pants, Wink, Love Heals, David Meister, 7 For All Mankind, Tori Praver Swimwear, Dessy Group Mens, Despi, http://www.eicop.org/pc-489-29-gorjana-astrology-pendant-necklace.aspx, Iodice, By Smith, Opening Ceremony, Bop Basics, Top, Maternity, Mackage, Kimberly Taylor, 291, Eco Friendly, T-box, Mignon, Libertas, 6100, BARLOW, Casual shirt, Oliver Peoples Eyewear, L.A.M.B, Sleepwear Chemise, Tadashi, BG Haute, Riller & Fount, Signette, Short Prom Dresses, AG Denim Jeans -Adriano Goldschmied, Jill Stuart, Ring, Beyond Vintage, Lekuin, Josh Brody, Jules Smith, Ella Moss, Ark & Co, Pumps Heels, Erica Angeline, Decode 1.8, Product Care, Veda, Aidan Mattox, Jumpsuits, Vitamin A Gold/Onyx Black, Love Quotes, Alberto Makali, Jane Wang, Anjali Kumar, Shirts - all available from our online designer clothing store at 50% off sale! Check out http://arts.harvard.edu - harvard university arts and fashion.
    We admire work of Harvard University Arts and Fashion - best school of arts where great designers learn
    how to create great looking designer clothing!

    ReplyDelete