Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Teenage Monkey Eats His Family Out of House and Home

Any minute now I will get back to garden blogging. In the meantime, can someone tell me exactly how much food is required for a fourteen-year-old boy? Tonight, he ate two and a half pork chops, all of the fried zucchini and okra, and some sauteed zucchini and carrots for dinner. About an hour later, he was making himself a hot dog. He is not overweight. He did just grow taller than me.

I bought green apples, red apples, oranges, and bananas today. This evening, the red apples and bananas are gone. He ate about four pounds of fruit in four hours.

We went out to dinner with my monster family last week. He ate his entree of salmon, half of another steak offered by an aunt, bits and pieces off of other plates, and at least two and a half servings of cheese cake and one serving of another dessert.

I have a teenager with a bottomless pit of a belly. I am getting a little scared. Do y'all have any idea how to afford the appetite of a teenage boy?

12 comments:

  1. Welcome to my world! :) He is a growing young man...he will be doing this for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother-in-law made beans and rice for my hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Racquel, I am going to need a second job.

    Hi sister, I remember the food issues with J. He still has a big appitite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of really filling carbs: potatoes,rice,beans,etc...; anything in season; all you can eat buffetts. Eventually, he will slow down, but by then he'll be married and gone!
    JD is 27 though, and he can still INHALE pizza at an alarming rate. When we get together, the best place for pizza without breaking the bank is CiCi's. The 12 yr old is just as bad with pizza, because she only eats the toppings, and leaves the crusts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Had to stop by when I saw your post title on Tina's blog--hilarious! My "boys" are adults now, but I well remember these days. I think I stretched the grocery budget by making lots of casseroles and fixing hamburger about 100 different ways:) Good luck, and let's hope grocery prices don't go up too much more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nola, I am going to need a bigger garden.

    Hi rose, he eats a lot of pasta, at least that is still reasonable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, the fruit will make its way through him fast. Is he the one with the nasty habit of throwing the dirty sock up on the ceiling fan? Obviously, I am obsessed with this odd boy-like behavior (as I had girls) and can't get past it. I am still wondering who in that house is possessed...
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes brenda, it is the sock offender that is eating all the food. It must be me who is possessed, because nobody else cares much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This made me laugh so much - as a mother of three sons - yep you will pretty much have an empty fridge from now until he leaves home!
    K

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Karen, I guess I just need to get used to it. He at half a pizza and a huge plate of spagetti tonight then he asked for popcorn chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Geez! Well, he is a growing boy. At least it was 4 pounds of fruit and not chocolate or chips. (save those for me!=) )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cinj, I don't buy chips, cookies, or candy. I just never have. They do get some ice cream occasionally and Manly Man treats them with some sweets on rare occasion.

    ReplyDelete