Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Three Sisters












If you want a child to eat squash, have them plant some. Here is Baby Monkey planting the three sisters bed tonight. He planted squash, beans, and corn. Do you see the problem in picture #2? I wonder how much corn actually got planted. Apparently seed corn is a snack for my youngest.
The three sisters planting style is beans, corn, and squash or pumpkins planted in hills together. I planted in this way for the first time last year. I usually have problems with squash bugs. Last year, I saw a couple, but they seemed confused and didn't cause any damage.
The garden is officially "in" now. I won't be planting anything else until the fall when I will replace any dead tomato plants.
We are growing cucumbers, peppers, herbs, black eyed peas, yard long beans, red noodle beans, mixed summer squash, twelve types of tomatoes, okra, and sweet potatoes.
What are you growing? Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

  1. Your garden sounds pretty yummy Debbi. But..what are red noodle beans? I don't think I have ever heard of them.
    We have a tiny space with tomotoes, onions, peppers and carrots. Not much, but it's fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a wonderful garden planted. This year we planted tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers! My dad grows a lot more then we do and we go down to this house and pick what we want(-:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, at least he's helping, huh? Kinda, sorta.
    We're growing tomatoes, of course, basil, corn, peppers, eggplant, cucumbers, peas, beans, potatoes, and radishes and lettuce are finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! I'm glad you have some help with all that you're growing :). I need to get my second round of bush beans started- and my second round of pole beans, because the first round was eaten!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did baby monkey get a haircut, or did you scalp him? It looks cute, but remind him to keep a cap on so he doesn't burn!
    I never heard of three sisters planting, but it sounds neat! Call me when the okra is ready, yummmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I seem to be growing lots of unwanted trees from that stupid tree trunk. I'm having a stump grinder in here next week.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is that the extent of the help they give or do they weed too? I got my kids to help me weed once so far. Tomatoes are LOVING their milk jugs, they're practically bursting. I've never heard of red noodle beans either. Sounds like a neat garden.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i want some??? if you have any or need some help picking i will

    ReplyDelete
  9. My youngest always enjoys helping plant the veggie garden too. It is great thing to past down to the next generation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Linda, they are a red variety of yard long beans.

    Thanks cindee. I share with my extended family too.

    Kim and victoria, He helped. He also watered it today.

    Tessa, I've had to replant my beans before, durn.

    Nola, he and his dad thought shaving his head would be a grand idea. Yes he got a sunburn. No I don't feel sorry for him.

    Brenda, What a pain that must be. Sorry.

    Cinj, I got the seeds from Territorial Seed Company. They are a lot of fun.

    Racquel, Hopefully, it will stick.

    ReplyDelete