Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Ellis County Court House






Posted by Picasa


I love old court houses. We have some real beauties here in Texas. There are also some really ugly ones. These pictures are of the Ellis County Court House in Waxahachie, Texas. This building is beautiful. It is pink granite and red sandstone. It is covered in carvings. Yes, some of those windows are curved. The court house was built in the 1890's and it has been restored.

The legend behind the faces is that the stone carver was in love with his land ladies daughter, but she didn't love him back. Like it will, love turned ugly, and the faces became more and more hideous.

We spent the morning in Waxahachie. I had to take my mom to get her fingerprints taken so she could renew her real estate license. We had breakfast at the Court House Cafe, a greasy spoon with horrible service and great food. Then walked around the court house. We shopped at a great resale shop and ended the day at a quilt store.

I spent sometime this afternoon browsing through a book on Texas court houses and I plan on visiting more of them. I am already familiar with the court buildings in Denton, Dallas and Brady. Wonder how I am going to get Manly in the truck when he figures out what I'm up to?

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun to me! I like old barns. I would love to travel around the countryside and take pics of old barns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, Okay, I've got court houses, you have barns, who's on silos?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool looking building. Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes they are grand buildings and this is one of the most ornate I've seen. Ours are most grey looking. I don't know how you are going to get manly to go---tell him there are TV's inside? Tell him there won't be a Sax there.

    ReplyDelete