Tuesday, February 26, 2008

It happens Every Winter.

I cratered two days ago and spent most of the last two days in bed. It happens every single winter. I try and try to stay positive and not succumb to the cold wet depression of our weather. North Texas weather teases us. It is pretty one day, cold the next, cold and wet the next, and then so windy you can't stand up, rinse repeat. As a gardener, I can only take the yoyo weather, thus yoyo moods so long. Every single year I end up sleeping two of my days away. I get up and try to clean. I wash enough laundry so the monkeys can get an education. Then I go back to bed. I get up again and read. Then I get sleepy and decide it would be easier to read in bed. Of course, once in the bed, I fall back to sleep. I wake up at about 2:00 in the afternoon feel guilty and get up and do things. Tonight I went out in the cold, cold night and took a walk. I feel better and I don't think I will need to sleep so much tomorrow. What should we all do until spring arrives to keep us awake?

11 comments:

  1. Oh, you're not alone!
    A lot of gardeners (including moi) have been posting about how this winter has seemed to draw out to forever. Cabin fever and SAD abounds.
    Some WinterSowing has helped me get through. I'd absolutely go nuts if I couldn't get my hands in soil the whole winter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tina, thanks for stopping by. Luckily I can get out and play in the dirt on the pretty days. Unfortunately we have about one of those a week. I guess I should be grateful I'm not snowed in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie ... it happens to Canadians a LOT !
    There is something you can do to help your body and brain. Vitamin D is crucial when you are not getting it from exposure to the sun.
    The new move from doctors is to start a good supplement "D" .. Calcium .. and even magnesium.
    But "D" is your sunshine vitamin.
    Look into it ? on the net or family GP ? .. it does help !
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  4. LIKE I SAID...TANNING SALON!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think there is something to the vitamin D. Meme gets it from the tanning salon, but I would turn into a red headed crispy critter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I drown my winter blues by looking at the blogs of the southern gardeners. All the pretty pictures make me feel better. Right now it's cold, wet, and super yucky outside. If the kids didn't have piano lessons in an hour and we weren't expected at friends after that, I would be back in bed in a heart beat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sherry,
    The blogs definitely help. I can look at the pretty pictures and not feel so alone and sorry for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH yea, blog and get some D! I talk non stop all winter long and then I have to go to work in either my garden or someone elses from March to October. I have a short attention span too--so blogging is great for me. I can be all over the country and see different gardens everywhere. I plan during the winter months too. I get out all my gardening books and never ever get out of the gardening mood. It is like I have to have it to survive. Me and dirt!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never taken a D supplement. I was under the impression that it did not absorb well orally. I will give it a shot. Our weather may not be consistent for weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. For sure give it a shot -- My Doc. told me to take 1000 IU twice a day, but I always take half of reccomended dosages of vitamins, so I take 1000 units once a day. I started sometine in Dec. and I feel wonderful. Try it.

    ReplyDelete