Friday, April 11, 2008

Why I Will No Longer Work With My Husband

I know I have mentioned it before, but I love my work. I love my clients, I love the dirt, and I love the flowers. I enjoy myself way to much.

Today I took my husband to work with me. I thought he would enjoy working on this brick patio rehab project. He loved making our deck. He was awesome at putting in hardwood floors for me. He even took a wall out last year. I almost lost my mind, but it turned out really nice. He can fix anything; hot water heater, leaky faucet, my truck, his 36-year-old VW Bug, clogged pipes, etc...

This is really a great guy. Last week our elderly neighbor's home was burglarized. He installed motion sensing lights and rekeyed all of her locks. He even rehung a door for her so it would open and close properly. Then he came home and installed better locks on our garage and motion sensing lights for us as well. He remodeled his grandmother's home so she could use her walker more easily. If you need help, he's your man.

Anyway, we go get the brick and sand and head out to my customer's house. He looked a the brick patio and asked me, "How much are you charging for this?" I told him. He says, "That's not enough." I explain that if I run over budget the customer will understand. I just have to keep good records.

He started to pull up brick. Then he started to tell me what an awful job this was going to be. Then he wandered over and started digging up grass in the area where we are going to extend the patio. Then he told me how hard digging grass was. Then he took a break. He came back and tore the rotted wood off two old planters and hurled them into the lawn. It was now obvious how frustrated he had become. Mean while, I concentrated on getting the dirt out of the two huge planters so we could remove them. He looks at me about 45 minutes into our day and says, "Why are you happy?" Me, "Hey, dude, I love my job."

On our way home he asked,"Would you have gotten more done with Meme or Crystal?" I didn't answer. He says, "You're being pretty quiet." I begin to explained that some jobs are more suited to certain personalities and we all need to seek our bliss, blah, blah blah - sunshine and kitty cats. He says, "Go ahead and say it. I can take it."

YOU'RE FIRED!!!

He did the happy dance right there in the truck.

14 comments:

  1. LOL! If that were Cheesehead he'd be swearing up a storm on top of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how funny! At least he was happy about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cinj, I heavily edited his dialog.

    Hi Sherry, he was way to happy to get away from any kind of gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As Cinj likes to quote me saying--I was ROFLMAO!!! Men--they love to think their charity work is worth millions but when it comes to their paid work--well you better be paying them lots. Next time you need help..call us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anna, I have a feeling that if I could hire my bloggy gardening friends I would have the most fun crazy successful little gardening/design company ever. I am just not sure how we would all fit into Tiny Town Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debbie ... my god ... this was too funny ! Don't you know by now that we can NOT work with our hubby ? And what is happening this year to hubby and I ? .. he is going to try and put up this metal arbor with swing gates for me ... already I have "told" him what I THINK SHOULD be the beginning of the job ...
    Watch for a "launching" session as by UK friend calls it when the frutration meter goes through the roof .. by the way .. if you find my arbor over there on your lawn .. please save it for me .. don't sell it ? .. I'll come by and pick it up .. I swear !
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  7. HA!!!!!!!!!!! Geez, though, I wish you all were *my* neighbors. My little cottage could really use some paint...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Joy, I will give you a call when it shows up over here. I may just grow a little something on it while I wait for you:)

    Ben, you just gave me flashbacks to when the living room was distroyed and he was spraying some kind of mud all over the place. Scary monsters. I am off the anxiety medication now and doing much better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's so funny, Deb. I'm sure every woman alive can relate to this. heehee -Jen :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jen, I am not sure why I even tried. Everbody knows we can't work with them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a nice post about your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi tina, I love him very much. Here is the deal: He does the house and cars and I do anything that grows. If we follow these rules then life will be good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Life is always good but you do have to work with the significant other. Some times harder work, sometimes easier!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I have been misunderstood. When I said work, I ment in my gardening/design business, not in our marriage.

    ReplyDelete