Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Green Tomato Madness

A couple of days ago, I had to pick all of my green tomatoes. Nola and Brenda, as true Texans, suggested frying them. I cannot imagine trying to eat 10 lbs of fried green tomatoes. I love them, but 10 lbs - Yuck. Even I would get sick of that. Thankfully, some other Internet friends came to the rescue.

Several of you suggested letting them ripen on the window sill. Foxymoron suggest putting them in a paper bag with a ripe banana. She wasn't sure how it worked, but she read it somewhere. Kate arrived with the science behind this. Apparently, ripe fruit off gasses ethylene, which will help green fruit ripen. Go Kate, you are our genius.

Gardengirl shared this recipe for dill pickled tomatoes. I remember these from my childhood. She also suggested slicing them and sauteing them in a little olive oil and serving them with basil and Parmesan cheese. Yum.

Curmudgeon, one of our wonderful Weed Wackin Wenches, shared this recipe for tomato jam.

Cinj, suggested freezer spaghetti sauce. I have not found the recipe for that yet, but I am looking.

For the next couple of days I will be making pickles and jam.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out. Without you I would be drowning in green tomatoes. If anyone else would like to add to the tomato madness, chime in now.

Silence at Poor Richard's Almanac out did herself with six recipes. Thanks Silence

cinj posted her freezer spagetti sauce recipe today.

I made the green tomato jam and it is Monkey approved.

10 comments:

  1. Debbie ... my suggestion is
    " How about sending me some of that jam ?" .. I know I would love it .. and it would lesson the load of what you all have to eat (because it is good for you .. I grew it .. EAT IT) syndrome I know you must sffer from ..
    I'm happy to help girl !!
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I'll bite (so to speak). We give all underripe, overripe, or otherwise not-for-us tomatoes to our chickens, so we've never had this problem. But one green tomato recipe that's always intrigued me, from the Pennsylvania Dutch, is a mock-apple pie made from green tomatoes. Those frugal PA German fraas (housewives) were not about to waste those precious tomatoes! But gack, attempting to give a recipe in a comment is a bit much. So let me write you a green tomato post over at Poor Richard's Almanac. I'll post recipes for mock apple pie, mock mince pie, spiced green tomatoes, and more, all from Dutch Country. And don't say you didn't ask for it!---Silence

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm a Meals On Wheels volunteer. You might see (if your city has one) if they could use them in their kitchen. We serve 4000 citizens here from ours. Fried Green Tomatoes, anyone?
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love pickled anything, so the tomatoes sound yummo; let me know how they come out. I'm not big into canning, but I might give 'em a try. I don't have but a couple of pounds, tops.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I meant to post about it but I haven't gotten around to it. The bank fiasco made me do a lot of things that I wasn't planning on doing. I'll look it up tonight and try to get it posted tomorrow. It's super yummy! (Not that I'm saying you have to make it or anything, but Cheesehead even said he would eat it without adding hamburger in it. That's HUGE because he is a total carnivore when it comes to meal time.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joy, Manly Man thinks I have lost my mind making jam out of green tomatoes. I may have some to share, but I am not sure how well it will travel.

    Silence, I just found your green tomato recipe post. Thanks for the help.

    Brenda, That is not a bad idea at all. I have a couple of friends who deliver meals on wheels. I should give them a call.

    Nola, I already made the pickles. It was really easy. They did not have to be processed and sealed up just fine.

    Cinj, hey girl don't worry about looking up a recipe for me right now. Girl, you have your hands full. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, well I needed to keep my mind busy so I got that recipe posted. If your tomatoes end up being anything like mine it will be a while before they're ripe. You're probably all done with them by now anyway. I think I've got things back under control again????

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could eat 10 pounds of fried green tomatoes. In one sitting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Momo, seriously. That is too many fried green tomatoes. Have some green tomato jam. It is yummy.

    ReplyDelete