Friday, April 22, 2011

Keeping it Clean

I made my own dishwasher powder, liquid dish soap and laundry powder this morning.  I took the advice of a couple of friends, Cindy Wagner and Michael Nolan , and mixed up the concoctions.

The first thing I did was explode half a bar of Zote soap in the microwave.  This was very fun and much easier than shredding it.  Next time I will cut it into several smaller pieces to speed up the process. 

The dishwasher powder was 1 cup borax, 1 cup baking soda, 1/4 cup washing soda and a few drops of orange oil shook up together in a Mason jar. There is no actual soap in this recipe.  Worked great on my first load of dishes.  I do put white vinegar in the rinse aid dispenser in the dishwasher door.  This keeps the glasses and such from looking cloudy.  Love some sparkly wine glasses :)

The liquid dish soap was about a cup of exploded Zote soap 1/2 cup of borax and a tablespoon or so of washing soda dissolved in boiling water.  Next time, I am going to make it a little thicker.  It worked great, but  I am going to get used to the lack of suds.

The laundry powder was the rest of that bar of exploded soap, 2 cups of borax and 1/2 cup of washing soda all mixed up with a blender.  I put a little vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser.  The laundry came out nice and clean.  

What kind of earth friendly cleaners do you like?

Happy Earth Day 

2 comments:

  1. The add, courtesy of Blotanical, on your blog was an environmentally conscious cleaner. Talk about coincidence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I'm so excited to try these tips, especially putting vinegar in the rinse aid dispenser. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete