Thursday, December 25, 2008

Visit From the Little Christmas Birdie

 

 
Posted by Picasa


We had a very nice Christmas. The two sisters who are out of town were missed very much. There were great gifts, good food, and only minor melt downs. Mostly just the toddlers melted down, but I did have one little fit. Sorry.

At the end of the night we had a little visitor. He flew in while a sister-in-law as leaving. Turns out they fly towards light. He was on the tree. Then he flew to another little tree that had lights. He was totally disoriented until we turned off all of the lights in the room and left the porch light on. He was then able to make his way safely outside. This was a little touch and go as Snickers, sister’s crazy kitten, already caught one bird that flew into the house. We needed to get him out of there before the kitten killed again.

I have no idea what kind of bird this is. Can anyone tell?

10 comments:

  1. Wow! It sounds like there's never a dull moment at your place! I like your Christmas greeting from the "monkeys" and the lovely milk and cookies they left for Santa, too.

    Merry, Merry!
    Sue

    Thanks for being my first commenter on my Skywatch pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Sue, there is never a dull moment. Happy to make the sky watch pick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geez, I've seen birds in stores before but not in anyone's house. I'm glad it was able to makie it back outside safely! I have no idea what kind of bird it is and I'm horrible at finding things on the internet too. Sorry.

    Hopefully Peanut will be up and feeling all better so she doesn't have to go to the doctor. I won't wake her up to find out though. She needs her sleep. Thanks for the well wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute little visitor! It looks like a wren to me, but I'm not certain. (Another picture here. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Debbi,
    I believe the bird is a Carolina Wren. My book states " Common around human habitation; enters open buildings to inspect dark recesses for insects or spiders."
    Our Christmas excitement was discovering that my Grandma's cat had stowed away in our trailblazer after we had driven 10 miles.
    Blessings,
    Lorilee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, looks like a wren to me. Usually identifiable by the white mark above the eye.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Debbi, What a story! Glad you were able to get that little Carolina Wren out of there before kitty got to him! (I'm in VA and get lots of those cute little wrens here).

    I also want to thank you for being the first to pick my recent post:) Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cinj, I know they are in Home Depot all the time.

    Thanks for the link Lisa

    Lorilee, thanks for the id. Cats, what a mess. When I was in college my mothers cat hitched a ride in the wheel well of my clunker car. How she made it from Dallas to Denton without getting killed is beyond me.

    Hi Brenda, all the bird people seem to be in agreenment that it is a Carolina wren.

    Hi jan, glad to make that pick.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your house is always full of excitement Deb! :) We had a very peaceful & quiet holiday which is rare with two teenagers. lol Sorry I could help with the identification of your feathered friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Racquel, The others seem to have identified it as a Carolina wren. Glad you have a nice quiet holiday. With six brothers and sisters and 12 children between us, holidays are never nice a quiet. The bird was just a bonus.

    ReplyDelete